Inver Hills Community College graduates can go on to any of the seven Minnesota State universities
Degrees and Programs

Inver Hills offers nearly 40 degree options via the Associate of Arts (A.A.), Associate of Science (A.S.), Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) and Associate of Fine Arts (A.F.A.).

Contact Information

Admissions Team
College Center


Degrees and Programs

Transfer Pathways

Transfer Pathways are curriculum plans which provide an associate degree to seamlessly transfer into a related degree plan at any one of the seven Minnesota State universities to obtain a bachelor's degree. Upon completion of a Transfer Pathway degree you will be guaranteed junior status upon admission to the university, and are assured that the bachelor's degree can be completed in 60 additional credits (for 120-credit programs). You must still meet any special admission requirement for the major and are not guaranteed admission into the major itself.

Visit the majors page to find the current Transfer Pathways.

Associate of Arts (A.A.)

Our #1 Transfer Degree

The A.A. degree is an ideal choice if you are planning on transferring to a four-year college or university. You will save money and have the added advantage of working one on one with your instructors.

Undecided Information Sessions

Starting college without a major (or changing majors) is not uncommon! Come learn about how the AA degree can benefit the undecided student as well as a student who wants to transfer.

A.A. Program Planning Guide

The A.A. degree is 60 credits and contains three parts:

Total: 60 credits

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)

You can can choose the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC), a 40-credit liberal arts education curriculum that transfers to all Minnesota State universities as well as the University of Minnesota.

Health & Physical Education

You must take at least 1 credit of health (HLTH) and 1 credit of physical education (PHED).


Electives are additional Inver Hills courses that meet liberal arts, prerequisite or degree requirements at your intended transfer school. All courses must be 1000 level or above. We strongly recommend that you work with an Inver Hills counselor or advisor when selecting coursework to meet these requirements.

Note: A complete A.A. degree will fulfill general education coursework at the following schools:

  • University of Wisconsin-River Falls
  • University of Wisconsin-Stout
  • University of North Dakota

We strongly recommend that you work with an Inver Hills counselor or advisor when selecting coursework that meets your general education and major requirements.

Associate of arts with emphasis

The A.A. with Emphasis allows you to thoroughly prepare yourself for your chosen major at corresponding bachelor’s degree programs at several public and private four-year colleges and universities. We strongly recommend that you work with an Inver Hills counselor or advisor when making your transfer plans.

Emphasis areas

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)

Associate of Science (A.S.)

Inver Hills offers an Associate of Science degree that is designed for both transfer and entering directly into the workforce. The A.S. is perfect if you are looking for a balance between a liberal arts education and learning the specific skills you need for your future career.

Primary purpose of the A.S. degree

  • Provide the credentials for a specific career
  • Prepare graduates for transfer to a four-year school

How your credits transfer to a four-year school varies with the specific program you complete and the major you subsequently select. Each A.S. program has specific transfer agreements with select four-year schools. Roughly, one-half of your credits will come from liberal arts or general education courses; one-half will come from career-oriented courses.

Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.)

Our Associate of Applied Science degree is made to order if you wish to launch your career as soon as possible. You can earn an A.A.S. at Inver Hills in an IT or business program, gaining the competence you need to quickly excel in these high-demand fields.

For the A.A.S. degree, typically one-half of your credits will come from coursework in your program area; one-third will come from general education and liberal arts coursework. The balance of credits will come from either your program area or general education, depending on the specific major you choose.

Although the A.A.S. degree is not designed for transfer to a four-year school, your general education and liberal arts courses typically do transfer; some of your career-oriented courses may also transfer to specific majors at certain schools.

Associate of Fine Arts (A.F.A.)

Designed for transfer, our Associate of Fine Arts, or A.F.A., degree allows you to establish yourself in one of three fundamental artistic pursuits: Art, Music and Theatre. Our Art department provides instruction in six important focus areas, including ceramics, drawing, glass, photography, 3D artwork, sculpture and painting. Both the Music and Theatre departments deliver opportunities to participate in live performances, the former in ensembles, the latter in college-production plays.

What can I do with my major?

To explore career opportunities within your chosen major, check out the What Can I Do With This Major? web resource.

Academic Calendar

Inver Hills News

View More News Stories