Location: College Center
Coursework and the Associate of Science degree prepare students for paraprofessional careers and for transfer to four-year institutions. Students also may take Metropolitan State upper division accounting classes as part of a co-sponsored program.
Purpose: This program is designed to prepare students for accounting paraprofessional careers and provide a fully transferable foundation for a four-year accounting degree at Metropolitan State University (Metro State). Credits earned also are transferable to other four-year institutions; students should consult with an Inver Hills counselor or advisor to confirm specific transferability to other programs.
Program Information: This degree program is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs. As such, the accounting department has adopted a continuous improvement process centered on offering coursework that meets the demands of today's accounting and business environments. A wide variety of four-year college and university transfer opportunities are available to those completing an A.S. in Accounting. For more information, visit our transfer page.
Joint admission policies
- Students may register for Metro State courses after completing at least 24 lower-division credits, including ACCT 2101 and ACCT 2102, with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher.
- Students may enroll concurrently in Inver Hills and Metro State courses.
- All courses are scheduled to be offered at Inver Hills at least once each year, but students may take Metro State courses at other locations as well.
- Students will register for Metro State courses directly with the university’s registration office and pay tuition and fees directly to Metro State.
- Students may earn up to 80 semester credits at Inver Hills that will transfer to Metro State. This allows students to take the additional courses needed to complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum at Inver Hills. All transfer course grades must be C or higher.
- Students are guaranteed admission to Metro State’s College of Management upon successful completion of the A.S. degree.
- Students also will be awarded a two-year accounting certificate upon completion of
the A.S. degree.
Students should be aware that due to federal regulations, Inver Hills cannot authorize financial aid for Metro State courses. If financial aid is required, it is recommended that students apply for financial aid through Metro State for the semester those courses are taken. Metro State courses included below may be taken as part of the A.S. program.
Accounting Curriculum (24-30 credits):
|ACCT 2101||Financial Accounting||4cr|
|ACCT 2102||Managerial Accounting||4cr|
|ACCT 2220||Federal Individual Income Tax||3cr|
|ACCT 2241||Accounting Computer Applications||3cr|
|BUS 1131 OR
|Legal Environment of Business
|BUS 1104 OR
BUS 1121 OR
|Principles of Marketing
Principles of Management
3-credit ACCT 2000 level or higher1
|ITC 1100||Intro to Computers||3cr|
|ITC 1130 AND/OR
|Introduction to Excel
Intermediate Microsoft Excel
Liberal Arts Curriculum (30-36 credits):
1It is recommended that students consult with a counselor about the courses and selection options. It is recommended that students intending to transfer to Metropolitan State University take ACCT 310 and ACCT 530 (Metro courses) at Inver Hills.
|ENG 1108||Writing and Research Skills||4cr|
|ENG 1130 OR
ENG 1111 OR
|Effective Writing in Organizations
Research Writing in the Disciplines
The Research Paper
|COMM 1100 OR
COMM 1110 OR
COMM 2230 OR
|Interpersonal Communication OR
Public Speaking OR
Effective Communication in Organizations OR
|MATH 1103||Introduction to Statistics||4cr|
|MATH 1118||College Algebra||4cr|
|Humanities/Fine Arts/Literature||(See Goal 6 of MnTC)||3cr|
|Liberal Arts Electives||3-10cr|