Contact Information

Counseling, Advising, and
Career Development
Phone: 651-450-3508
Location: College Center

Individual appointments are available for enrolled or returning students. To schedule, call 651-450-3508.

Open Advising hours:

Mon. - Thurs.: 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Friday: 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Note: Hours and schedule are in effect when classes are in session, September-May. Call 651-450-3508 for counselor availability during the summer.

General Information

Planning your transfer

Students can discuss their transfer plans with an Inver Hills counselor. Then, they can call or visit their intended transfer college to obtain the following materials and information:

  • College catalog
  • Transfer brochure
  • Information on admissions criteria and materials required for admission (e.g., portfolio, transcripts, test scores).
  • Information on financial aid procedure and deadlines (how to apply and by what date).

After reviewing these materials, students should make an appointment to talk with an adviser/counselor in the college or program they want to enter. Your credits earned at Inver Hills (or transferred in) appear on your student record and in your Degree Audit Report (DARS), which is a summary of the degree requirements you have fulfilled and those you still need to complete.

You can also use Transferology, an online credit transfer tool,to determine whether your credits will transfer to a new school. Visit Transferology.

How transfer of credit works

The receiving college or university decides what credits transfer and whether those credits meet its degree requirements. The accreditation of both the sending and the receiving institution can affect the transfer of the credits. Institutions accept credits from courses and programs similar to those they offer. They look for similarity in course goals, content, and level. Not everything that transfers will help a student graduate.

Baccalaureate degree programs usually count credits in three categories: general education; major/minor courses and prerequisites; and electives. The key question is, "Will the credits fulfill requirements of the degree or program the student has chosen?" If a student changes career goals or major, he or she might not be able to complete all degree requirements within the usual number of graduation credits.

Applying for transfer admission

Completing an Application for Admission is always the first step in transferring. The student should fill out the application as early as possible to meet the deadline and enclose the application fee. Official transcripts should be sent from every institution the student has attended. A high school transcript or GED test scores may also be required. The student should confirm that the application is complete; most colleges make no decisions until all required documents are in the applicant's file.

After the college notifies the student that he or she has been accepted for admission, submitted transcript credits will be evaluated for transferable credits. A written evaluation will be provided when the student arrives for orientation or has chosen a major. If the student has questions about his or her evaluation, the student should speak with a counselor. The student should ask why judgments were made about specific courses. Many concerns can be cleared up if the student understands why the decisions were made. If not satisfied, the student can appeal.

The student's rights in transferring

Each student has the right to a clear, understandable statement of an institution's transfer policy; a fair credit review and an explanation of why credits were or were not accepted; and a copy of the formal appeals process. Usual appeals steps are:

  1. Student fills out an appeals form and provides supplemental information, such as a syllabus, course description, or a reading list.
  2. Department or committee reviews materials.
  3. Student receives, in writing, the outcome of the appeal.
  4. Student can appeal decision to the Vice President of Academic Affairs and Student Development.

At the student's request, a review of eligibility for financial aid or scholarships will be conducted.