Contact Information

Counseling, Advising, and
Career Development
Phone: 651-450-3508
Location: College Center

Individual appointments are available for enrolled or returning students. To schedule, call 651-450-3508.

Appointment Hours

(30 minutes)

Mon – Thu: 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Fri: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (Summer 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.)

Individual appointments are available for enrolled or returning students. To schedule, call 651-450-3508.

Quick-Stop Advising Hours

(10 minutes)

Mon – Thu: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. & 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Fri: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
(Last check-in is 15 minutes prior to ending time.)

During peak times, such as the first week of class and first week of registration, accessibility through quick-stop advising will be increased and appointments may be limited.

Related Links

GPA Calculator


IHCC Counseling on Facebook

Transfer Visits

Considerations when Transferring

When Selecting a College to Transfer to:


  • the major
  • Cost of tuition, fees, books, room and board
  • Financial Aid and Transfer Scholarship possibilities
  • Transferability
  • Class times (day, evening, weekend, early morning etc)
  • Calendar
  • Housing options

Request a copy and read the current college catalogs to determine the admission requirements for the college AND the major. Sometimes the requirements are different!  The Counseling/Career Development Center has catalogs for Minnesota colleges and some out of state colleges.  Many colleges have their catalogs on the Web (see Transfer Schools).

When you decide to transfer, you may want to make an appointment with an academic counselor to discuss your transfer options, talk with representatives of four-year schools who visit campus regularly (see the IHCC Student Bulletin for upcoming visits), and use the online resources below:

Selecting Courses at IHCC

There are four types of coursework to complete before you transfer:

General Education - Transfer Options
  • Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MTC):
    The MTC completes the general education requirements at all Minnesota state universities, the University of Minnesota and some private colleges.
  • Transferring without the MTC:
    Students must follow the transfer guides and course-by-course equivalencies, specific for the chosen college/major.  These are located in the Counseling/Career Development Center and some are online (see Transfer Schools).
  • While rare, on occasion students need to transfer before fulfilling their general education and pre-major requirements.  This may be necessary because IHCC does not offer the essential coursework OR the transfer major has a rigid sequence of premajor/major courses that need to be completed at the transfer college.
  • Transferring out of state:
    While IHCC does have some transfer agreements with out of state colleges, usually students will need to follow the requirements of the selected transfer college.  Counselors are available to assist students with this process.
Pre-major Requirements

Students must plan for admission to their major, which is often separate and in addition to admission to the college/university.  Students should refer to the transfer guides in the CDC, the college catalogs, and consult with an IHCC counselor for specific information

High School Preparation Standards

If you did not fulfill the preparation standards in high school, coursework at Inver Hills can be substituted for missing high school coursework.

Second Language Requirements

Whether you will be required to complete a second language often depends upon where you are transferring and what type of bachelor's degree you will be pursuing (i.e., Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science).  Most of these requirements do not need to be met before you transfer, but need to be completed before you graduate with your bachelor's degree. (Visit the CDC for list of colleges and the language requirements.)

Note:  The AA degree can be tailored to fit your choice of college, its general education requirements, missing high school preparation standards and the pre-major requirements. Consult with an IHCC Counselor for assistance with this process.

Transferring and Applying

College Transfer Representatives

"Reps" regularly visit IHCC.  To see when a "rep" will be visiting check the Student Bulletin or on the Counseling Bulletin Board in the College Center.

Admissions/Application Deadlines

Most college web sites post deadline information. Be aware that freshman deadlines and transfer deadlines may vary.

GPA Requirements
  • GPA requirements may differ for college and major
  • Courses below 100/1000 level do not transfer
  • Some colleges refigure GPA based upon college level transfer credits only
  • Some colleges do not transfer "D" grades
  • Some colleges do not transfer + or - grades which can elevate or decrease a transfer GPA
Visit the College

Attend open houses/visit with the admissions office representative: ask for financial aid estimates, visit a class, get a tour, talk with a faculty member.

Academic Year Calendar

Check when the semester/quarter begins. This is particularly important if you want to transfer mid-year.

Complete the Admissions Process

Submit the application, ALL transcripts, essays, assessments, financial aid, and determine whether ACT, SAT, or PSAT is needed.

Transfer Resources

Find out if your credits will transfer (to many different schools) : Submit your coursework to any college in the Transferology network to be evaluated toward any of the college's degrees. Visit Transferology.

Find out how to transfer to:

If you have questions about transferring from Inver Hills to a specific school, visit Transfer Schools.