- Enrollment Center
College Center - 2nd Floor
- IT Service Desk
(1 business day reply)
(can help with some needs)
- Web chat or FAQ
SafeConnect for BYOD
Why do I need to install SafeConnect?
SafeConnect is a bring-your-own-device (BYOD) network access control technology the college uses to provide wireless network services that comply with Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Board of Trustee policy. Board of Trustee policy currently has two primary requirements:
- specific network behavior must be attributable to an individual
- devices on the network must be configured to prevent abuse
SafeConnect allows the campus to comply with the first requirement by requiring users to log in with a username and password (e.g., StarID) before allowing them to use wireless network services. When you log in the system records which network address and port you were assigned and how long you used it. That combination of data allows the campus to associate network behavior with a specific user account and the person to whom that account was issued.
SafeConnect allows the college to comply with the requirement of ensuring devices on the wireless network are configured to prevent abuse. The most common weakness for computers is not keeping the software updated, particularly the operating system. Viruses and malware are other serious problems. The SafeConnect client application can check if automatic updates is turned on and if a current anti-virus program is installed, updated and running. If it detects a problem it will provide limited access so the problem can be resolved.
Please refer to the SafeConnect frequently asked questions (FAQ) for answers to some specific questions. If you have remaining questions after reviewing the information provided, please request assistance (see Getting Help) or visit the IT Service Desk in the IT Center.
How to Install SafeConnect
You only need to install the SafeConnect client if your device is running a Microsoft Windows operating system.
Before installing SafeConnect you should:
- turn on the Microsoft Windows automatic update service
- have an updated anti-virus application (there are free products available)
- add SCClient.exe to the exception list of your personal firewall (if one is turned on)
- have the SafeConnect client application installed and running
How to turn on Microsoft Windows Automatic Update
- Open the Security Center control panel (Start --> Control Panels --> Security Center)
- Click "Automatic Updates"
- Ensure "Automatic" is selected
- Click the OK button to save the settings
Which anti-virus programs will SafeConnect recognize?
SafeConnect is able to work with a large number of free and commercially available anti-virus applications. See the SafeConnect FAQ for additional details.
It is critical that you have only one antivirus program installed on your computer. Having multiple anti-virus programs installed will result in false readings and prevent you from using the wireless network service. It also can make your computer run much slower.
There are many antivirus products available. Some are free and some require subscription fees for continued protection. Many computers come with trial versions of subscription based anti-virus products. If your trial period ends and you do not subscribe and pay the subscription fee you will not receive future updates, your computer will not be protected, and SafeConnect will not allow your computer to use the wireless network service.
AVG is a free anti-virus application used by many of the employees in the Information Technology Services department. AVG is available for a free download. Search for "AVG free" to find. Another popular free anti-virus program is Avast.
How do I get and install the SafeConnect policy key client?
If your computer is NOT running Microsoft Windows you do NOT need to download and install the policy key application.
- Read all of these instructions first.
- Click the link below to download the application.
- When prompted to either run or save the file, click the "Run" button.
- Ignore the warning that the publisher could not be verified and click the "Run" button.
- After the installer downloads it will run.
- Follow the prompts presented by the installer to proceed through the installation process. You can expect to click an "Install" button to start the installation process and a "Finish" button when the installation has completed successfully.
- The SCClient.exe application will be running as a background process and will start automatically each time you start up your computer.
Need help? You can check the SafeConnect FAQ, request assistance (see Getting Help), or visit the IT Service Desk in the IT Center. Some of the student employees may not be able to help you. They should be able to contact one of the professional staff in the IT Service Desk, if needed.