How to Find New York Times Book Reviews in the LexisNexis® Academic Database
- On the library's home page (www.inverhills.edu/library), click on LexisNexis® Academic.
- In the Enter Search Terms box type in the title of the book, the author, the words New York Times and book review, all connected by the word "and"
- In the Search Within section, make sure to click in the box marked Major U.S. and World Publications.
- Choose All Available Dates in the Specify Date section.
Search Screen Example
- Click on the Search
button. A list of articles will appear. Which article has the review?
Usually the book review has an actual title as in our example for the
book, The Glass Castle. The title of the review is Outrageous Misfortune.
Ignore all of the links that begin, BEST SELLERS, PAPERBACK BEST
SELLERS, or The New York Times. These are just lists of the NY Times
best sellers for that particular date - there are no reviews here.
Depending on your book, the list may be long and you will need to open
up a link and read the article to see if it's a book review.
Most of the time, the book review is the first result in the list.
on the blue link to see the full book review. You will also know it's a
book review if the title, author, page count, publisher, and price are
listed when you open up the review.
THE GLASS CASTLE
By Jeannette Walls.
288 pp. Scribner. $25..
Back to the list of database guides and handouts
- Click on the Print, Email, or Save icon in the top right corner of the page for the option you prefer.
- If you want to search another title, click on Edit Search above the Print and Email icons.